Private Drama Instruction
The Lesley Andrew Drama & Voice Studio (Dream In Progress Productions – Stratford and London, Ontario) has been in operation for over ten years. Students range in age from 4 to 75 years, both professional and amateur levels. A biannual recital showcases each student’s progress in drama & voice.
- Character Development using various techniques
- Text analysis (Shakespearean, modern, poetic and song text)
- Story telling devices (pitch, dynamics, tempo)
- Use of body/center of gravity
- Mask work
- Performance skills (memory, approach to blocking, communication with audience, working with directors)
- Use of opposites, finding the ‘funny,’ upping the anti, the where/why/who and when.
- Speech delivery
- Substitution / imagination / improvisation
- Multiple discipline studies (combining the arts and multiple intelligence)
- Sight reading/theory
- Vocal / performance technique in all genres of music
- Programming & creating the play
- Script writing
- Image consulting / stage deportment
- Solo and ensemble work (drama and voice)
- Acting / singing coaching and preparation for professional, post secondary institution, & competition auditions
- Poetry recitation
Intensive Studies In Theatre Programme
Three sessions (4 – 6 students per session) are offered to children ranging in age from 5 – 17. Sessions culminate in a performance where each participant delivers a Shakespearean and contemporary monologue, a chorus poem (a la Greek theatre style), a solo and ensemble song, scene study from both Shakespearean and contemporary periods, and a ‘create your own skit’ using masks. Students make their own masks and learn how to use them to create character. Archetypal figures are used to teach story writing. Journals are a daily activity. Each participant is responsible for gathering props, and is taught how to create and promote a production. Performances have taken places at the Stratford Festival and at various churches throughout the city of Stratford. The Intensive Studies in Theatre Program is now in its fifth year, with each year expanding to include more sessions to meet the demand.